Sandra Madera, who coordinates the rose dedications for the Donate Life Rose Parade Float is very impressed:
"Who would have thought that a television show would have sparked a culture of donation across the globe? That's exactly what Alex O'Loughlin has been able to do. Even though Three Rivers is no longer in production, Alex's commitment to the cause of organ and tissue donation has inspired his fans from all over the world to raise money and dedicate roses to him on the Donate Life Rose Parade Float. It's moving to read the dedications and to realize that he has inspired his fans in this way."
What makes it so special to follow the career of Alex O'Loughlin?
It is more than just the sharing of information and photos about the work of an actor we all admire for so many years now.
It is the wonderful friendships that have been and are still being forged around the globe. It is the "can do" spirit of the US and international fan groups, welcoming their members with open arms and encouraging them to express their creativity fueled by Alex's inspiration in text, videos and images.
And it is the constant awareness of the things that are close to the heart of this charismatic, talented, humble and sweet man, who came from Australia to the USA to pursue an acting career - and now stars in a new TV hit series on CBS: "Hawaii Five-0".
In December 2009, Alex O'Loughlin dedicated a rose for the Donate Life Rose Parade Float in honor of Fernando. According to Tenaya Wallace, director of Donate Life Hollywood, Fernando's family "consented to eye donation because they were fans of the CBS show 'Three Rivers'". In this series, Alex played a heart transplant surgeon, and during filming the show he became an Ambassador and spokesperson for Donate Life America.
This year, we here at "Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life" (an international fan community which I founded in cooperation with the German Alex O'Loughlin Fan Club) decided to do an online fundraiser for the 2011 Donate Life Rose Parade Float.
Alex's fans from all over the world joined us to dedicate roses in support and honor of Alex's commitment to be a strong voice for the organ donation and transplantation community, to raise awareness of the importance of organ donation and to make Donate Life his charity of choice.
The roses and their dedications will be placed on the 2011 Donate Life Rose Parade Float, this year's theme is "Seize The Day". OneLegacy, the Donate Life organization coordinating the Rose Parade float, says: "This year, the Family Circle Garden is a beautiful garden featured at the front of the float and is a tribute to donation that will be seen by millions on New Year's Day as part of the Tournament of Roses Parade. As you watch the 122nd Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year's Day, look for 'Seize the Day!' and know that together we inspire the nation and the world to Donate Life."
Alex continues to inspire his fans with an important message: Organ donation saves lives!
Here are the rose dedications as posted on the Donate Life Rose Parade Float website:
1. OH In memory of Alex James Zenz. We love and miss you everyday. I see your smile in your brother Troy. Forever in our hearts.
In support of Alex O'loughlin.
2. France In honor of Alex O'loughlin. Thank You Alex for your work as Donate Life Ambassador
3. Germany In honor of Alex O`Loughlin. Thanks you, Alex, for your work as Donate Life Ambassador! You are great!
4. Germany In honor of Alex O`Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for your work as Donate Life Ambassador. Moonlightfever63 Member of AOL German Fanclub
5. Germany In honor of Alex O`Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for your work as Donate Life Ambassador. Sunshine Member of AOL German Fanclub
6. Germany In memory of Alex O` Loughlin. On the threshold to the New Year very best wishes to you and your family. May the New Year bring you and your loved ones joy, and happiness. Melanie XXX (Germany)
7. Germany In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Good luck and Greetings from Germany. Big hug Sike (schmeissi)Roehl A.O.L. German Fan Club
8. NY/US In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you Alex for all the awareness you have brought to this most extremely important organization and cause.
9. Australia In support of Alex O'Loughlin.
10. TN/USA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Merry Christmas, Alex! Thank you so much for your wonderful work as Donate Life Ambassador, and for your inspiration! Sabine Atkins
11. Georgia/USA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Alex, I am dedicating a rose in your honor for all of your hard work as Donate Life Ambassador. Many thanks and love, from Laurie Lester
12. Nevada In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you for your work in promoting such an important cause.
13. NY/USA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Alex, I dedicate this rose to you for all of your work and dedication at becoming Donate Life Ambassador, and for bringing such awareness to this cause. Thank You! Sandy LLOL Fan Group
14. Houston, TX In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Alex - I donated a rose in your honor to thank you for all of your efforts in raising awareness & supporting Donate Life. You truly are a special person! Much Love, Cheryl
15. Maryland In support of Alex O'Loughlin. For all your hard work and dedication to this important cause, thank you.
16. United States In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you Alex for your wonderful support of Donate Life!
17. Australia In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. For the good of the all, for the good of others, for the good of myself, I continue to support the work of Donate Life. Thank you for your inspiration.
Claire Eyles (Adelaide, Australia)
18. UK In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for all the amazing work you do as a Donate Life Ambassador. Long may you continue to "Seize the Day" x
19. United States In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Merry Christmas Alex! I admire and respect you so much for your dedication to Donate Life. May many, many, lives be saved this coming year!! Love always, Ronnette
20. United States In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Merry Christmas Alex and Donate Life! Hugs and love, Ronnette
21. France In honor of Alex O'Loughlin.
22. Switzerland In support of Alex O'Loughlin. Anonymity & discretion are following my Swiss culture but having accompanied a young recipient who has died, these 17 roses are a sign from my heart that beats for all people in need. Love, Patricia
23. Germany In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Dear Alex, Merry Christmas from your fans from Germany Anne (Member of the A.O.L. German FanClub) Thank You Alex for your work as Donate Life Ambassador!
24. Germany In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Dear Alex, Merry Christmas from your fans from Germany Uta (Member of the A.O.L. German FanClub) Thank You Alex for your work as Donate Life Ambassador!
25. Germany In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for your work as Donate Life Ambassador Petralisa Member of AOL German Fanclub
26. Germany In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you, Alex for your work as Donate Life Ambassador AnnHart Member of AOL German Fan Club
27. South Dakota In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. For his work as a Donate Life Ambassador.
28. California In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Happy Christmas Alex, and thank you for your support of Donate Life. Love, Lesley and Debbie @LLOL
29. CO/USA In support of Alex O'Loughlin. To those who have given or who are ready to give an organ donation to save a stranger's life. If we can raise awareness, we save lives, giving people a chance to live happy lives. Vanessa Zertuche
30. IA/USA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank You Alex for all you do, your devotion to Donate Life and your work on the behalf of this cause is truly an inspiration.
31. WA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for raising awareness of Donate Life. I'm an organ donor, but never understood its importance. I feel like my life means something now... all because of you. Thank you!
32. Florida In honor of Alex O'Loughlin. Thank you, Alex, for your work as a Donate Life Ambassador. Love & Hugs always, Eileen.
33. NY In honor of Alex O' Loughlin. Thank you for all your work with Donate Life.
34. CA In honor of Alex O' Loughlin. For the commitment and love you have shown as Ambassador for DONATE LIFE Because of you I became a "card carrying" member. Merry Christmas Alex, all my love. MARY aka POMMIENANA
35. CA/USA In honor of Alex O'Loughlin, Donate Life Ambassador. I dedicate this rose to him and his efforts to increase awareness of the importance of organ donation. Best wishes, Kanako
Several of the fans let us know that they dedicated roses to Alex. Here are their names. Some of them also sent us greetings for Alex:
Kristy Henderson - Hey Alex!! I donated a rose for the Donate Life float in your honor. It is a most wonderful cause. Thank you for all you do!!
Gladys Quintal, Australia
Silke "Schmeissi" Roehl, (in support of Alex, she also donated $30 for a rose grant) Germany, founder of the German Alex O'Loughlin Fan Club
Sabine Atkins, founder/admin (USA) of "Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life"
"Alex, Your inspiration helps me turn my dreams into reality. I feel honored having met you at the Donate Life Hollywood Film Festival."
Claire Eyles, social media admin/chief author (Australia) of "Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life"
Eileen Vessey, she is also a registered donor
*Alex - You truly are a special and genuine guy who has touched the hearts of so many people. I don't think you even realize just how special you are. I am so excited to be able to support such a wonderful and talented man. Your work as the ambassador of Donate Life is truly amazing. Your dedication and support of this charity is helping to make a difference in the lives of so many people. You are a true inspiration! Much Love, Cheryl*
Ronnette Hedgepeth, 3 roses - "I donate these roses in honor of Alex O'loughlin. Merry Christmas, Alex! I love and support you in all your endeavors. Ronnette"
Ronnette also gave me permission to use part of her message she sent me: It is because Alex is such an amazing and wonderful person that he attracts decent people as his fans. I love him and I thank him for making me sit up and take notice of such a worthy cause as Donate Life. Three Rivers really opened my eyes to this organization. I cry tears of joy and heartache when I watch each episode, especially The Kindness of Strangers. In short, Three Rivers, and Alex O'Loughlin, touched my heart forever.
Laurie Lester: "Alex, you are a shining light and an inspiration in all that you do. It was so wonderful to meet you at your premiere for TBUP and at SOTB. Merry Christmas and lots of love, from Laurie in Georgia."
Laurie also gave me permission to use parts of her messages she sent me: Isn't it amazing that Alex brought so many people together? There is a light that shines in him that is so beautiful. I am so excited about the rose and the donation. God bless Alex for all of his work as Ambassador. If not for him and people like you, I never would have been so aware of the importance of Donate Life.
Lisa Steele (jksgirl), UK
Mary Enriquez aka POMMIENANA
Members of the German Alex O'Loughlin Fan Club:
Melanie Dahmen (Melli3009) "Dear Alex, I wish you a very merry christmas, lots of presents ;-), and much time with your family and friends. Have a good time and a successfull year 2011! Melanie"
Susan Boldt: "Thank you for being an Ambassador for Donate Life. It is important to give back in any way we can. i know a Kidney recipient and she is thankful everyday to have the chance to watch her children grow. Keep up the work and we can spread the word about organ donations. Thank you! Susan"
DEb (founder, admin) and Les (admin) of "Long Legs O'Loughlin - social network for Alex O'Loughlin Fans" (LLOL)
Vanessa Zertuche says "Please think about becoming an organ donor".
Hi Alex, my name is Vanessa and I live in Denver, Colorado. I just want to say thank you for the hard work you do for this great organization. Not only are you a great actor but you also care for those who can live because of organ donations. You are an inspiration to me and to thousands of others. Your work with this great organization is helping me realize how much life this organization is giving to help others and I have been thinking of becoming an organ donor myself. Thanks for all you're doing. Sincerely -Vanessa Z.
Elaine Maynard: "There are so many things I would like to say to you if I could....I want you to know how very much I have appreciated not only your work but your kindness and devotion to others. It seems no matter how crazy your life is, you always have time to give back. Your dedication and effort speaks to our better selves and inspires myself and others to reach out in the same spirit. Thank you for caring Alex."
Spotlight: "Long Legs O'Loughlin" - a social network for Alex's fans
Our fundraiser for the 2011 Donate Life Rose Parade Float was kicked off with the friendly cooperation of "Long Legs O'Loughlin", a social network for Alex O'Loughlin fans with members from all over the world, founded in the USA by DEb and Les.
At the 2nd Annual Donate Life Hollywood Film Festival in June 2010, I had the great pleasure to meet with DEb and Les, two fans who not only provide an amazing platform with their networking website for Alex's international fans, they also support Alex as Ambassador for Donate Life with the same strong dedication, energy, creativity and sense of humor.
Their friend Kat kindly provided me with this wonderful story about how their support for Alex, his projects and his charity of choice began (please click on the photos to enlarge them).
The tale of two “Moonlight” on-line friends that turned into much more than a fan site:
When DEb and Les, owner and head moderator of LLOL, respectively, first met online in September 2007, little did they know their mutual love of a vampire TV show and a virtually unknown Australian actor would turn into a social network almost 900 members strong and a life long commitment to a charitable organization near and dear to their hearts.
In November 2008, these two dedicated women saw a need for an active fan community that not only reported the news and posted pictures, but also supported their membership’s involvement in all forms of creative expression: artwork, videos, and fan fiction. Artistic work is welcome and encouraged at LLOL, from the novice to the highly skilled and everyone in between. Add in the weekly Friday and monthly Sunday chats and you realize DEb and Les developed a fan site that is not only informative and pretty to look at, but also fun to visit with a family-like atmosphere.
Both DEb and Les were attendees of the 2009 Donate Life Film Festival, spurred by an advance screening of Alex O’Loughlin’s TV show “Three Rivers”. They had a wonderful time at the Festival, and although the films and workshops moved both women that year, they never thought to become Donate Life Ambassadors, thinking they would not have the time commitment available nor the skills or knowledge needed.
Along came 2010, and when Alex O’Loughlin received a nomination as Donate Life’s Person of the Year and subsequently won, Les and DEb were right there at the ceremony, cheering for a most humble man who was greatly moved, knowing his fans voted for him. The following day at the Donate Life Film Festival, DEb and Les were asked if they were Ambassadors. Both decided to make the commitment without delay.
Although not an organ recipient herself, Les’s brother had received a cornea transplant, and a life-long friend received a liver transplant this past year. After being introduced to Donate Life via Alex’s involvement, Les feels that she was destined to become involved. The day after returning home from the Donate Life Film Festival in Los Angeles, Les contacted her local branch of Donate Life – “Golden State Donor Services” and signed up as an Ambassador candidate.
The timing was perfect as she got into a class within a week of becoming a candidate and received her certificate June 26. When signing up as an Ambassador, all must commit to volunteer for 3 - 4 events per year in order to be considered active Ambassadors. Les has attended five events since June!
Like Les, DEb contacted her local Donate Life chapter about an Ambassador training right after attending the 2010 Donate Life Hollywood Film Festival. The next Ambassador training class with OneLegacy, DEb's local Donate Life chapter, will be in February 2011. DEb already wears her Donate Life bracelet daily, doing what she can to spread the word for the need of organ donation registration. DEb is looking forward to her formal Ambassador training and volunteer work!
Three years ago, these two hard working women never thought they would get involved in an organization, let alone one about organ donation and donor registration: all due to Alex O’Loughlin’s involvement on the TV show “Three Rivers” and his Ambassadorship for Donate Life.
Les and DEb are inspired by Alex’s commitment, and it is their wish that their participation will not only motivate others to register as organ donors, but also to encourage other Alex O’Loughlin fans to volunteer as well: he truly is an inspiration to get involved!
When DEb and Les visited Hawaii for the "Hawaii Five-0" Sunset on the Beach premiere in September, they promoted Donate Life and the importance of organ donation. The LLOL site, through DEb’s guidance, always encourages members to post articles and events about Donate Life and or organ donation.
In other news
Italian fan Cetty Spica created our new Italian Facebook page. She says about her support for Alex as Ambassador for Donate Life:
"Wanted to tell you that I filled out the form to register with A.I.D.O, the Italian association of organ donation and within a month I receive my badge "blue", or the donor's card!"
Cetty constantly posts updates, and her work on the page is amazing. Mille grazie, Cetty!
Alex is continuously making a difference: We are receiving feedback from fans telling us that they either seriously think about registering as organ donors or have already registered themselves as organ donors. They also tell us that they learned about Donate Life through Alex. They share with us how they are touched by organ donation and transplantation, for example, how little Silas received a heart transplant in the 11th hour. And we keep Stephanie (she heard of Donate Life through Alex), whose mother is currently on the transplant waiting list, in our thoughts and prayers.
To read some of the feedback please visit the "Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life" Facebook page.
As soon as they are available, "Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life" will provide you with links and photos from the Rose Parade 2011.
Here is a text from our contributors Tinker (AnnHart) and Petralisa [translation by Sabine Atkins] about the Rose Parade, and why they support the Donate Life Rose Parade Float:
People may have 5000 roses planted in their gardens, but they may never find what they are looking for. But sometimes they can find it in a single rose.
This is our motto for the Rose Parade 2011.
What is the Rose Parade? The Rose Parade (Tournament of Roses Parade) is the biggest parade in California. It takes place each year on January 1, and is attended by more than 1 million.
It was founded on January 1, 1890 by members of the Valley Hunt Club. They were newcomers from the eastern United States and the Mid-West, who wanted to show to the whole world their new home in California, which has a mild climate, even in winter.
"Let us have a festival to show our paradise to the world," said Professor Charles F. Holde.
They built vehicles and adorned them with flowers. This tradition became very popular, and in 2011 the 122nd Rose Parade will take place on January 1. Famous businesses and people participate with their parade floats. Every year, there are more entries. Marching bands from all over the world are invited.
Why are we supporting the Rose Parade? It's very simple! Donate Life participates again with a float. The roses on their float are dedicated to people who have been touched by organ donation. Alex is an Ambassador for Donate Life, therefore it is an honor for us to dedicate roses during this worldwide fundraiser in his honor.
In lieu of Christmas presents for Alex, we dedicate our roses which will be placed on the Donate Life Rose Parade Float "Seize The Day!"
We hope that as many fans as possible join us.
From the bottom of our hearts we thank all the fans who join us in our support for Alex as Donate Life Ambassador! Thank you for your lovely messages and participation!
Special thanks go to DEb, Les, Kat, Silke, Tinker (AnnHart), Petralisa and Monika for their great contributions of text and images and coordinating the rose dedications among the members of their respective fan groups.
A very Big Thanks goes to my wonderful friend and colleague in Australia, Claire Eyles. I feel honored to work with her on promoting Donate Life!
We wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season and a Happy New Year!
Merry Christmas, Alex, and a happy, healthy, successful 2011 to you!
There are currently 109,934 people on the transplant waiting list, please visit DonateLife.net to find out what you can do to make a difference. Thank you!